JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2021, 09:22 AM

Right, so I've eventually got my shaft issue sorted & now got the baffle welded & fitted into place. It was time for a 1st start to see what further issues were upon me [8]
To get to the point...it didn't start, nor did it sound healthy whatsoever! It sounded like the battery was on its last legs but i knew it couldn't be that as it was brand new & was kept on a battery maintenance charger. The H22 has an inspection window to allow timing of the flywheel so i set up a light & my phone on video to see if i could see anything unusual. Gave it a crank & reviewed the video...the flywheel was turning but it had a severe wobble [V]

I couldn't figure this out but knew one thing for sure...it all had to come back out to do some further investigating [xx(]. Stripped the box off & checked the flywheel/clutch & pressure plate more times than enough & found absolutely nothing wrong with anything.

The only things i could think of were maybe I hadn't fitted the box on correctly before tensioning it up with the plate? Maybe i hadn't torqued the flywheel bolts properly? Maybe the crank was fubarred? I just couldn't figure it out!

I then decided to have a look at the starter. This was a fully refurbed b series unit i got off one of the guys on the FB page & to be honest, i took it as advertised & took the seller for his word. Upon stripping it & checking it all out, i found some small metal shavings around the gears [V]
It was fully refurbed & had all new bearings & fresh grease & looked 1st class but i noticed when building it back up again the motor itself was moving internally within its casing/surround when it was bolted up. A few measurements taken & when compared to a mates iVT starter i figured out the motor was about 6-8mm too short & was most likely too short to engage with the gears properly. So took my starter mount plate off (it's overbored to accept the longer starter bolt that's required for the h2b plate) & attached it to my mates starter to try it instead.

Difference in the motors, refurbed motor on the left, mates iVT motor on the right

New (to me) starter sourced locally, this was also stripped & checked over & did match my mates iVT starter so I knew it would be good

So, bolted it all back up again, triple checked everything, then checked it all again. Gave the box & the plate a light coat of paint & dropped it all back in...AGAIN

It turned over but wouldn't fire! At least i know it's all bolted properly & spinning freely now! I need to check spark etc & i reckon it'll be a wiring/ignition issue but just haven't found the time to investigate it yet.

To be continued...
EE8 Cel Blue...RIP