JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Chat Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Honda Japan Info

Honda Factbook for the Civic and CRX...

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto...909/index.html
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM

It's all jiberous to me.anyway of changing it into english?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:33 PM

LOL, if you install the japanese language pack it does format the page properly rahter than giving you complete jibberish. You can pick out specs and tech info if you scan through it. There are a few translation engines out there but i havent had the chance to try yet.

The dyno charts are a very nice find that i've never seen before,

ZC DOHC 16v PGM-FI from the Si,

D15B SOHC 16v Dual Carb from the 1.5x,

Mark.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Wow the dual carb is really underpowered compared to the DOHC.Have to get myself a DOHC in the future.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Yes and No. Having owned both a 1.5x and Si, both with the same bolt on parts and mods (literally moved from one car to the other) i found the 1.5x the best all round.

Performance: 108bhp vs 136bhp, ok the Si has more power but only high up. From idle to 4000rpms the 1.5x pulls better, mainly due to the dual carbs giving much better throttle response and low down grunt than the FI DOHC engine has. Above 4000rpms its chalk and cheese, the 1.5 has a nice seamless pull to the red line. The Si however always had a flat spot at 4-4500rpms, then the power came in like somebody flicked a switch and it pulled hard to the redline (great noise too). It was a lot faster over 5000rpm but everywhere else the 1.5 was faster.

Gearing: A 1.5x on the red line gives something like 30mph 1st, 60mph 2nd and then a big gap into 3rd gear. The Si has a close ratio box, each gear is closer together, almost equal gap. Speeds however were something like 27mph 1st, 57mph 2nd so you had to use 3rd gear to hit 60. Annoying but the Si had equal length drive shafts so it didn’t torque steer or spin the left wheel first on the limit.

Suspension: As stock a 1.5x doesn’t have a rear anti roll bar and it really suffers because of it. I had one on my 1.5 with shocks, springs, bushings, mount braces etc and it always handled way better than the Si did. All the suspension was moved from the 1.5x to Si so it should have been the same. Turning into T-Junctions the Si would always under steer on the limit where as the 1.5 would be neutral.

Weight: an 88 1.5x tin roof is the lightest of them all. Possibly why i like it the best as it’s so nimble. 89's added a few kgs from sound proofing. 1990 onwards models gained even more weight plus trim and clibud control etc. Sunroofs and Glass Roofs also add more weight again. And we wont talk about the vtec heavyweights :-)

For handling and traffic light sprints the 1.5x wins, for high end speed the Si wins.