JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Cold Start Problem on 1.5 Dual Carb Engine

Hi,

Can anyone help with a cold start problem on my car.....I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carbs last summer and ever since then when I start the engine instead of going to 2000 revs it been going to 1500.......more recently during the cold weather when starting it has been a bit rough until the engine gets warm......we have increased the idle speed and changed the spark plugs but this didn't make much difference to the cold start problem......now when starting it only rises to about 12000 revs...

Also does anyone have a copy of the CRX reference manual Code: 62PM100 it supposed to cover the 1.5 dual carb engine but I havn't been able to find one anywhere....

Any advice would be apperciated!!!

Cheers

CRX_Dude
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 AM

If you look on the workshop manuals on the honda site, the Concerto had a 1.4 dual carb - the carbs would be the same type as on yours

http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html

Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM

It should only rev up to 1500 afaik, its been a while since i drove one though, but i would have been worried if it reved up to 2k. Bit high.

Check all you vacuum lines etc, dunno really what it could be but the concerto manual should help

90 White USDM CRX HF (JDM B20B Swap)
05 White USDM Subaru Legacy Outback
Old 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM

1200 is about normal when its cold automatic choke kicks in. why would ya want you engine revving to 2000 while its idling? its a waste of fuel and you cant take off properly either. what does it idle at when its warm? . there is a couple of ways to adjust the revs on the dual carbs. mine was idling at 3000 rpm when the fan kicked in when i got it first i finally figured out what all the adjusting screws did and now i have it its revving at about 11 or 12 hundred revs when the fan kicks in.

what the fella that had it before me did wrong was adjust the screw for the idle boost trottle controller (on the left side of the left carb) up when there was no load on the engine such as (fan,aircon,lights etc). So there was no load and by adjust it revved the warm idle up only a small bit. it sounded right when it was idling normal but when the fan kicked in it sent a signal to the vaccum pump which pulled on the control arm and the car revved up to 3000rpm. i didn't no what was going on the boys were calling the car kitt, it was like it had a mind of its own.
what i did to cure it was turned every thing on that had a draw on the engine and adjusted the screw till the revs were about 850 900 just enough so it wasnt struggling. but everything in the wont be on all the time so when for example ive the lights on and aircon it revs around 1100rpm.
what i did for normal idling was made sure there was no draw on the engine and i adjusted a different screw in between the two carbs. it was idling a bit high so i cut it back to about 850 900 that way.
as long as the engine is still running and the revs arent too high i cant see any problem.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Cheers for the info lads,

the idle speed drops to just under 1000 revs once it's warmed up....but I am having to keep my foot on the throttle while stationary when first starting in case the engine cuts out.....plus the engine jumps a bit before it gets warm.....do you think it s problem with the automatic choke?? or an air leak???.....If so, where is the best place to start checking??...Once the engine is warm it runs fine....
Old 02-10-2007, 05:44 PM

when's the last time it had a full service? when i got my car first twas running like that also. Cyclonium told me to do the fuel filter beside the petrol tank and the air filter also spray the carbs wit the carb cleaner (like you done), made some differance to the car when it was idling. also i changed the spark plugs. i reckon if all that stuff is done it should idle fine. sometimes mine can idle a bit funny when its cold but it doesnt cut out.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Cheers General,

I havn't changed the air filter or fuel filter since I brought the car which was just over two years ago!!!I have changed the plugs, oil and oil filter.......I'll try changing the fuel and air filters....Do you know anything about balancing the carbs???
Old 02-11-2007, 07:49 PM

bit out of my league there. its my first carbed engine so still only learning myself. if it hasnt gone wrong i havent tried to fix it, if ya know what i mean. i did alright once do a google search on dual carbed engines and came across an austrailian forum where they were on about what they did to the carbs to get the best out of them. it was a seriously long thread had all ya need to know in it and id say if you found it, it would help you. cant remember for the life of me where it was.

this isnt the site i was on about but it might be some help
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/re...s/dualcarb.htm
Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRX_Dude

Hi,

......we have increased the idle speed and changed the spark plugs but this didn't make much difference to the cold start problem......now when starting it only rises to about 12000 revs...

thats some rpm lol[8D]