JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Parts Forums > Parts Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Wanted: Full 1.5x car.

I'm looking to put down 2, to two and a half grand on a 1.5x from 1987-89.

I couldn't care less if your engine has done 200,000+ miles, the only thing I'm concerned with is:

(1)It has passed the NCT and has a catalytic converter.
(2)It has a suspension in decent condition.
(3)It has a limited amount/no rust.
(4)It comes with the ability to fix a brake light high-up, like the spoiler positioned light on the G-special edition.

That's about it.

I'm planning on getting the more featherweight 87-89 1.5x, and doing an engine swap, so this ad is more focused towards those that need a new engine anyway. As I'd feel bad if I had to swap out an engine that still had 100,000 miles left in it, as I'd be compelled to put the powerblock in storage.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 PM

87-89 Jap imports are a bit harder to get here in ireland as it was mainly 90+ CRXs that were imported..

They would have all come with a cat originally so might still have them but they rarely fail on emmissions anyway due to more lienant emmission tests on pre 92 cars..

All CRXs have the same level of difficulty to fit a rear high level brake light although siRs came with them standard mounted behind the door glass..

The earlier ones are not exactly featherweight just the siRs would have had more on them so would have upped waight slightly..
Old 09-19-2015, 06:00 AM

I really appreciate the prompt and helpful reply comrade!

Do you have any numbers for the amount of imported 87-89 EF6 built cars, as opposed to the 90+ builds? How bad are my chances of finding one do you think? I'm even partial to manual steering, so if any models came with unassisted steering, I'd be game for that too.

I did read on the helpful specs section of this site that all JDM imports came with cats. So I was a bit perplexed when on a recent test-drive-spin of a CRX, why I could constantly smell, what could best be described as, having a cloud of hydrocarbon smog move all with the car everywhere we went. It didn't smell of "petrol", or should I say its aromatic Toluene & Benzene component etc, but of cracked/"burnt" hydrocarbons. The owner informed me that he had no cat for his car, evidently it isn't his daily driver, and I can kind of understand why, as apart from this, I also suspect the shocks are gone too. Although again, I have nothing to compare the spin to.

Prior to this, I had zero experience of getting a spin in a CRX, let alone a car without a cat, but even without the cat, I hadn't expected the change in odor to be that obvious. If what I'm describing isn't typical of no-cat vehicles, would this smell be indicative of a timing belt not getting changed, causing lack of air intake?

On the brake light preference, if I'm getting this right, it was the 1.5x G-special & SiR that came standard with the high visibility rear brake light position?

I consider 840 kg featherweight, while the EF7(Si) isn't much heavier than that(50 kg), when compared to the EF8(SiR) the latter has near 130 kilograms of extra weight on the diminutive EF6/1.5x CRX. Not all of which, I'm assuming, is due to the higher displacement B16A VTEC engine? Would this be a bad assumption? Without their engines and drivetrains, are all the EF6-9's the same weight?

If Ireland had imported any of the even lighter CRX HF models, I would probably jump on those instead, although they are all left hand drive as far, as I can tell.

Whichever way the dice falls, keep her lit!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:22 PM

As paul said 87-89 are rear and to get rust free one
you will pay big money for it by the time you buy one get it import and pay vrt
there's two crx's up in the north for sale in you're price range
if you go on to gumtree belfast
there's 91 cel blue with full vt conversion
and nice silver 1.6i non vtec
If i was started out in the crx seen i would go for the 1.6i and turbo it and you would get nice power out of it
and the long gears and fd would be ideal for a turbo
and you would get great fun out of it after a while
if you wanting to change to vtec the car is all ready set up
because it fuel injection no messing around looking for a fuel injection tank thats me now if i was stated on the crx seen
but ever body have's there own opinion
Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM

Not sure on production numbers but the ammount imported to Ireland are significantly less..
To get non power steering you could go for a UK CRX with a vtec or ZC engine but then you have the added weight of a sunroof if weight is a priority..

For the emmissions I cant really say I have a finely tuned nose to pick up on cat v no cat but that was probably something wrong with that CRX rather than the whole range of them..

An EF8 shell is the heaviest alright but thats probably allowing for all optional upgrades like Power Steering, ABS etc and the fact they have bigger/better brakes up front, ARBs etc.. You can remove the ABS, Power Steering etc but the rest of the extra weight is in necessary upgrades if you plan on fitting a big spec engine..

Like mike said you are really better off looking for an Si or SiR and removing/selling what you dont want instead of buying an 1.55x and trying to source parts
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM

This 1.5x CRX for E700 would've been perfect, for the price anyway!

Sadly it was sold to someone else in no-time at all! Had I seen it during its 1-2 day long sale on Donedeal, I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...6515?offset=20
If that link "rots", here's a pic.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106...33&ad=10786515

I also have the actual full advertisement archived, if anyone is interested, via screen-capture as archive.org's "wayback-machine" got a "302 error" when trying to archive the initial link that contains the full advert listing.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

That was a very cheap CRX by todays standards no wonder it went so quick!