JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Administrator

The initial purchase of the foam tape was to repair the main vent on the dash.

These tend to get brittle with age and break up - as obviously happened here

Quick cleanup -

I couldn't find a pre-cut gasket for this - hence the foam tape. Not totally perfect - but better than nothing, and should assist in it sealing off against the main vent.

New pedal rubbers were also stuck in - the accelerator is definitely trickier than the brake and clutch - its more solid plastic than rubber, so wasn't done at this stage.

Bit of rustoleum paint on the pedal assembly -

With the wiring run, and almost everything working as it should - the dash could go back in.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:00 PM
Administrator

It was relatively easy to make progress in the early stages - a lot of the parts I needed came with the car, and multiple parts orders arrived quickly. That all came to a grinding halt as parts orders for trim pieces and other bits just stopped arriving.

This gave me a chance to figure out a few bits - one of which was the heated seats I'd had fitted to my seats. I wanted to use original CRX heated seat switches - but they were so difficult to source, and ridiculously priced, that I knocked that idea on the head.

A generic carbon element kit and switches were ordered off eBay. The elements were already fitted to my seats at this stage - so I needed to fit the switches. The centre console looked like the only location where they would comfortably fit, so I set about fitting them and tidying up the console at the same time.

First I masked up the console. The textured plastic isn't perfect - but does clean up very well with the Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner. Any paint on this would be more likely to lift, and it wouldn't match the rest of the dash here either.

The centre plastics are smooth - but were pretty scuffed up

Used a stepped drill bit to open up the two switch holes

Masked it up, and loosely fitted the switches - I didn't fancy risking the paint when feeding wiring through. Three coats of satin black and then satin lacquer were applied. Very happy with the results.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:01 PM
Administrator

It was hard to keep the momentum going on the interior work - once clips and various other bits needed to be ordered it all slowed down. Covid 19 had delayed all the shipping times of parts from Japan, so started tackling various different jobs around the car.

When I got the car back from the bodyshop there was some condensation in the rear lights. I'd supplied new gaskets, but there were so many parts supplied that they were just missed - easy enough to happen given they'd been sitting in an envelope for almost 3 years at this stage.

As expected - the old ones were very crusty

New one just went in nice an easy as expected, no further condensation issues either.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:02 PM
Administrator

I needed to tidy up almost all the trim pieces on the car - I put the feelers out on Facebook for a recommendation on what trim paint to use. Eventually opted for Besa textured plastic paint which Vinny Byrnes supply.

This stuff is actually technical an adhesion promoter and used to spray bumpers prior to a top coat, but is a matt black finish as standard and can be just left as is. As a result, its ideal for the plastics on the car and doesn't require the use of a separate adhesion promoter.

This is the side trim after being painted - far left is with Besa. Middle is with Brayt trim restorer, and the last one is untouched.

Gradually working my way round all the required parts - very happy with the results, although some bits are more work than others!

Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM

I'm liking the finish on this! [^]
EE8 Cel Blue...RIP
Old 06-03-2021, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paul.cherry
I'm liking the finish on this! [^]
Cheers - was very happy with how it turned out, although I'm generally very reluctant to paint any interior trim. I'm hoping the sheer volume of lacquer on there will keep it from chipping too easily.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 PM

This is savage Ken and great to see build thread going up here again!

The work your doing is all top class if a little frustrating at times but will be worth it! I was looking to do a heated seat setup in Rachel's Del Sol with the S2000 seats, I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.....
Old 06-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

This is savage Ken and great to see build thread going up here again!

The work your doing is all top class if a little frustrating at times but will be worth it! I was looking to do a heated seat setup in Rachel's Del Sol with the S2000 seats, I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.....
Cheers! I wanted to use a modern heated seat setup with the OEM switches and console - but the only set I saw for sale was €900 or so. I can go back and change it in the future if a set come up for reasonable money - and there were so many other areas to spend money on that I didn't lose too much sleep over it!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Lepsons did a super job on the wheels - but the H logo still needed a touchup. So it was out with the black enamel paint and a fine brush -

The finished article -

I fitted them up to the car, but quickly discovered an issue with the wheel nuts - they were way too long for the centre cap to fit on. They also looked like crap.

The correct nuts are really short open ended ones - my local motor factors couldn't supply them, so stuck in an order with AKR for them.

Old nuts -

New ones fitted -

Centre cap clipped on -

Old 06-04-2021, 06:52 AM
Administrator

The car has essentially been like buying a box of unassembled lego, minus the instructions, and without any idea of all the pieces are actually there.

There was a set of manual heating controls supplied with the car in one of the bags of parts, but it wasn't the right one for the car - which I suspect was down to the previous owner buying any parts he could get to complete it (same happened with the headlights).

Tracking down the correct unit was a pain - seemed to be a handful in the US, and got outbid by €1 on a set in Germany when the eBay auction was sniped. Eventually saw a post from a lad in the UK who was stripping his CRX as a track car, so snapped them up. These suffer badly from the case cracking - and I was hopeful mine didn't need any repair. Those hopes were dashed when I tried to fit it and it started falling apart!

Thankfully there are now some guys 3D printing the carcasses, so bought in a new one from one of the lads in Poland who does these.

Side by side you can see the new one has much beefier mounting points

Its just a case of removing everything from the old and transplanting over - fitment was perfect. This is about half way through

Finished item -

The old one continued to fall apart

All fitted up