JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 06:52 AM
Administrator

The blower motor could be tested once the aircon panel was back in. There was nothing from it at first - an earth cable hadn't been fitted in place. Tested again and it worked on all speeds except position one. A new resistor was ordered which resolved the issue without any drama.

Its only when you get closer to completion that you begin to notice some of the parts that or missing or need replacement. The handbrake handle is known for turning a funny shade of green in these - mine was no different.

The replacement one is actually from an Integra - fits up perfectly. If I manage to spot a brand new one at some stage I'll probably replace it again, but this was a lot better than what was there.

Had some issues with my credit card not working for online purchases. After ringing the bank to have it resolved - they suggested buying something to see if it was working now.

This resulted in a replica dashmat being bought from Tegiwa - the genuine ones go for stupid money, and this one fits perfect.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Have been pleasantly surprised by availability of some parts, while others have been an immense hassle to track down.

The gutter rail trim is all over eBay for silly money in some places, but it was actually pretty cheap direct from Honda. Clipped in nice and easy.

Likewise with the lower window trim -

The rear upper hatch trim wasn't available new, so a good used one was ordered from Germany. The piece is metal with a plastic coating on it, and the original was too far gone to repair. The new one still needed a coat of paint.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 AM
Administrator

I've been pretty keen to keep the car as original as possible, but deviated on this with the interior slightly. The original Si seats were in OK condition, but I always preferred the seats offered in the JDM SiR.

Like a lot of other CRX parts now, they go for silly money. So when I saw a set for £160 on eBay I thought there must have been a mistake. Thankfully - there wasn't - and Paisley Freight collected and delivered them to me. The bolsters weren't perfect, but the cloth centres were. I'd planned on retrimming them regardless, so this wasn't an issue.

Sent them off for bolsters and rears to be done in black nappa leather, which turned out great. Had the rear bench done at the same time. The doorcards are a set of EDM Vtec ones, also picked up cheap on eBay, and the top section was also retrimmed in the same nappa leather.

These sat in the garage for a while as I waited for new mounting bolts to attach the rails. Also had issues finding the headrest mounting guides for one of the seats - these are no longer in production, but a lad on Facebook come up trumps.

Finally got the seats installed - which are impressively comfortable for 30 year old seats. Although being able to sit in the car at last highlighted just how small it is.

Also got the new OEM gear knob fitted up - only been holding onto it for 9 years or so

Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 AM

The seats look really good, I've fishnet Recaros that I was thinking of getting retrimmed in siR centres and leather outers.

What did it cost to get them done?
I was getting quotes up on €1000
Old 06-07-2021, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

The seats look really good, I've fishnet Recaros that I was thinking of getting retrimmed in siR centres and leather outers.

What did it cost to get them done?
I was getting quotes up on €1000
Was €1500 for the front seats, rears and doorcards. Guessing that the front seats alone would probably be ballpark €1k. Finding it very hard to get retrimmers to work in the cars to be honest - ended up actually sending my E30 to the UK to be done for that reason.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:01 AM
Administrator

The rocker cover on the car is currently a nasty shade of red, so picked up a spare one and got it back to something a bit more acceptable.

Have to say the paint stripper isn't half as effective as it used to be - I have vivid memories of my eyes feeling like they were melting in the past.

Had to remove quote a bit of casting marks as well before spraying it. Very happy with the results.

Results after first round of paint stripper -

Two more rounds of paint stripper, a power hose, and some sanding -

Used the dremel to remove the flashing and masked it all up -

This paint goes on thick!

Used a hairdryer to kick off the process and left it overnight

All done. Will be a big improvement over whats there.

Ordered new spark plug gaskets and a rocker cover gasket along with some of the other parts orders, so will fit this up once the car is back from its mechanical overhaul.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:02 AM
Administrator

The car was running when I bought it - and just about running when it left the bodyshop, but I had no joy with getting it started. Initially I thought it might just be out of fuel - so stuck in a few litres, and while it sounded like it wanted to start, that's as far as it got.

I replaced the main relay with a brand new one - its up behind the drivers footwell, and with them being prone to dry solder issues, there was no harm in sticking in a new one as I'd rather not be dragging the car apart again anytime soon. This naturally made no difference.

Car was getting a spark, and plugs had a whiff of fuel - so I changed the plugs for brand new ones from Honda in case the old ones were screwed - this made no difference, but the plug leads were falling apart - so stuck in a new set. Swapped in a new rotor arm too on the off chance. At that stage it burst into life - for about 2 seconds, and died again.

Had it transported to Coolmine Motors to just get it sorted - had a call within an hour or so to say the fuel tank was rusted to bits and the fuel pump had terminal failure.

Tank was dropped - new handbrake lines were added at this stage too -

Ordered a new tank, tank straps and bolts - Coolmine Motors sourced the pump - and it was running again

Also sent in new discs, pads and splash guards as well. No OEM splash guards are available anymore - so a set of EG Civic fronts were used. The rear required a bit more investigation and after going through a heap of parts diagrams I figured the Rover MG ZR rears would have the same setup. Was pleasantly surprised when they fitted perfectly.

The handbrake mechanism on the nearside rear caliper was beyond saving - so ordered a pair of new calipers. Also ordered new shocks, springs and an exhaust - rather than have the car go back and forth it made sense to get it all done in one go.

Lots of other parts have also arrived since to help get it wrapped up - including a new spare wheel, jack, tool kit and a few other things.

Also managed to source a very tidy set of clocks for it (again). Hopefully I won't mess up these ones - they're not easy to find.

And before it left I got another minor detail sorted -

Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Took a lot longer to get the car back than expected - totally down to the CAT having been removed from a previous owner. A slight ordeal followed, trying to get a CAT in from a seller on Amazon who seemed to not want to reply to any form of communication. A week after it should have arrived I could finally open a case for refund - at which point they told me the package had been sent to their own depot, rather than my address. They promptly sent the package that morning - and then cancelled the order completely when I told them how shonky their service was.

The car doesn't need the cat, but I'd rather have it there - so as an interim solution I ordered a decat pipe just to get the car moving again.

Some other bits did arrive though - so the new calipers went on, as did the Eibach springs and KYB shocks.

Once the car was home I fitted up the refreshed rocker cover - a quick before and after

The header had a bung in place - but as a JDM car it should have an O2 sensor in there, so fitted it back up - where it obviously snags the fan shroud. This was trimmed back, and a new sensor was ordered which was slimmer - the combination of these gives plenty of clearance now.

Exhaust does look great - car is running very rich at the moment, so no sound clip.

Then a few more trims pieces courtesy of Amayama.com -

And some missing bits put back in the boot -

Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Getting pretty close to being ready for the road - but still a few jobs to be sorted first.

The passenger door card hadn't been fitted up as I'd not managed to get the mirror adjustment operating. I was pretty certain my mirror switch was at fault - but being folding mirrors, the switch wasn't easy - or cheap - to source. Eventually got a replacement from Thailand - and spent an hour taking my time to do the wiring. Had continuity as far as the door plug - but not up to the switch itself.

The connections at the door had gone a bit crusty - so scraped them back to get them as clean as possible, and the issue was resolved. Also bought some dielectric grease to coat the connectors to try and stop the corrosion issue from reoccuring. Only need a tiny bit - and had to buy 500ml, so if anyone needs some let me know!

That meant I could get the door card back on - which was pretty uneventful. Did however notice that the door handle surround had damage to the mounting point.

This gave me the opportunity to play with one of my new toys - a 3D printing pen. I actually used this for filling in some ham fisted centre console cuts on the E30, and it worked perfectly - so was reasonably confident it would work.

You can see the damage more clearly here -

Doesn't look too pretty here - but built it up in layers around the hole, and spanning across it as well to attempt to give it a bit of strength -

And the finished result -

Front bumper also needed to come back off - need to do some wiring and there will be some work required on the A/C. The bumper itself needed some painting - the lower section should be in a matt textured paint, but it was done the same as the body colour, which obviously set off my OCD.

Sanded it back and masked it off - didn't sand up to the edge until I'd masked it -

Bought a massive roll of polystyrene for masking off panels ages ago which is a massive help on this sort of thing - thought it such a massive roll was overkill at the time, but have been rapidly making my way through it

Finished result - with the lip spoiler fitted up -

Old 08-04-2021, 08:20 AM

That 3D pen is cool as fk!! Details on that please.
Real tidy job on the paint too
EE8 Cel Blue...RIP