JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Have you a link for them Dave look great on the car and cheap fix too
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Sorry mate, bought them through one of the lads on CRX-UK. His username is 'Par', he might tell you if you contact him.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Ah sound thanks Dave

Did you manage to track down an uncracked AC panel yet?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM

I've been doing a few small jobs again now, I have a little bit more time lately. My drivers side window wasn't aligned properly going up in the frame, a common complaint. There's a sticky on CRX-UK about fixing them....

http://board.hondacrx.co.uk/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=76836

So I started this five minute job...

Behind the mirror cover inside there's a small bolt to fiddle with, and a bolt that moves the runner halfway down the door.

You can see the bolt here underneath the white wire on the right hand side.

As usual, this five minute job ended about two hours later with the car in bits and me wrecked! Have the window working just about right though......
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Next up is gearbox rebuild. Something I've been collecting parts for and waiting to do for a long, long time. I'm sticking with the original cable box, and keeping the final drive for now too. My box only crunches in fourth, but while I'm in there I might aswell upgrade while I'm at it....

M-Factory Carbon Synchros 1st - 5th

Honda 3rd and 4th gear and bearing

DA Integra (Early 90's and very rare!) longer 5th gear for cruising

Assorted new seals and such to tidy it up

And I probably shouldn't have, but I'm replacing the 20 year ols diff with this Quaife unit, hopefully I'll never have to open the box up again. Would be a shame to take it out on the track and find the diff was bunched.

Car is over being done at the moment, hopefully it'll all go smoothly. I can't wait to pick it up. Last three big-ish jobs are:

1. Shocks and springs - Me and the coilovers aren't getting on, I need something a bit more spine-friendly.
2. Respray - Remove and smooth here and there and repaint original colour
3. Exhaust - From manifold back. Has a couple of cracks and leaks and is generally old, so sorting that soon.

After that hopefully it's just fiddling with the small jobs and enjoying it.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Quaife!! Really pushing the boat out whats the money on that Dave if you dont mind me asking?

Whats gearbox is the 5th out of? I was thinking of building my Y1 box eventually with a 4.4 from a J1 looking forward to see how this turns out..

Whats your suspension plans?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM

The Quaife diffs are model number QDF1U, made in limited runs and rarely held in stock in the UK. They're about £760ste new, then you need bearings and a speedo ring gear (Usually breaks when changing them over). I bought mine second hand for £500ste, supposedly has uprated steel caged bearings. More than I wanted, but I chased him for months and he wouldn't budge. Lifetime warranty with them anyway.

The options are Type R, Cusco (Usually 2-way and clunks a lot for daily driving), M-Factory or the like (Usually a bit severe like Cusco). I think the Quaife is expensive but the best compromise.

As for the longer fifth, I'm not sure of the gearbox code, it's an early 90's DA Integra, so something like an S1 or the like...

With the suspension plans, I'm probably going to go to a good spring and shock combo. Something with a small drop but liveable every day. With speedbumps and crap roads, the coilovers are taking the good out of driving it every day. I've to meet up with Brian to have a look at his setup one of these days..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Another niggly problem sorted the other night. The battery terminal connection was the wrong size, imports have a smaller connection for some weird reason. This caused the odd break in connection that would stop it starting for a second or reset the clock every now and then, as well as being a bit unsafe.

I just changed one conection for the other, as in the photo. I don't have a photo of the spanner dropping out of my hand and somehow bridging the connections, electrocuting the bejesus out of me and launching me across the driveway. It's hard to get the camera out of your pocket when your hand is black and shaking...

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM

I have one of those diffs in my box. There mechanical rather than plates so no clunking. Haven't drove it yet so have to wait till next week or so to try it.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Nice saving over the new price.. Should be savage in it and nice in an everyday car..

Would you try raise your coilovers and adjust the damping to give a softer feel? Should be able to get better