JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2021, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paul.cherry

That 3D pen is cool as fk!! Details on that please.
Real tidy job on the paint too
This is the one I bought -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plastic is quite brittle - so needs to be layered up a bit. Actually sands back ok - heres the repair I did to my E30 centre console (this is being trimmed in leather - but wanted the switches to fit properly)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHtIJHnH...dium=copy_link
Old 08-13-2021, 08:28 PM

I didn't think them 3d pins were so cheap, nice job.

A hot stapler is a good tool too I've used it for a lot of trim repairs on cars lately

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/234131062197...gAAOSwopVhEjuE
Old 08-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

I didn't think them 3d pins were so cheap, nice job.

A hot stapler is a good tool too I've used it for a lot of trim repairs on cars lately

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/234131062197...gAAOSwopVhEjuE
Have seen those kits alright - handy for repairing bumper skins!
Old 08-31-2021, 08:21 AM
Administrator

When I bought the car it was already stripped down - it'd also had a tip at the front. The car was full of car parts - but it was hard to know exactly what was missing until the time came to fit everything back up.

When it came to the A/C system though, it was obvious that some bits were missing from the start - as evidenced by one of the pipes on the receiver dryer having being chopped.

Rather than trying to source the bits I thought were missing, I was able to get a full A/C kit out of a CRX - which turned into a lifesaver. This was mainly because I was missing way more than I originally thought.

I knew my condenser was missing - which I's assumed had taken a hit, but it turns out that some pipework was also gone, as well as the air con compressor and mounting bracket - which should have been something pretty obvious for me to spot. Every day is a school day as they say.

Decided to give the compressor and pipework a quick clean up and painted with some aluminium paint - had some time to spare because I'd actually left the compressor bracket behind when I collected the parts, thinking I wouldn't need it.

Any pipework going back in was fitted up with new R134 compatible O rings

Getting all the air con bits in involved taking out the front of the car and draining down all the coolant - so was good to start getting it put back together for what is hopefully the final time

Can't actually test the aircon until its gassed up - so that's a job for another day. Everything is in place, so technically it should work -but who knows.

Next thing holding me up was the lack of headlights - I had sourced brand new headlights from a UK CRX - these have glass lenses and two bulbs (a H4 and H1) instead of just one bulb and a plastic lens, which were never particularly effective.

Wiring for these involved running a relay to each bulb (low / high beam) and just using the headlight switch to power on each one. Rather than make a loom myself, I bought an off the shelf unit - it only required minor adjustment -

First was to move the A/C relays over slightly - just reused the headlight bolt point for this and flattened out a tab on the bracket. You can see on the far left where the new loom just plugs into the old headlight socket (its taped up)

Then for the H1's, the wiring order was changed to only work when the high beam was activated. New washer fluid cap added too.

Managed to do some other minor bits too to keep things ticking over -

Bought a new label kit to tidy up some parts -

Boot release before and after -

Honda decal on the back got done too -

Removing the old decal was way more hassle than expected - it was rock solid -

New decal in place -

It was only when I was applying the new decal that I noticed some residue from the old one right at the bottom - this stopped it adhering perfectly - so this is probably going to end up being done again. Really irritating thing to happen, especially since I have a caramel wheel in the shed which I completely forgot about.

Just really down to doing some tidy ups now and waiting on some trim pieces and clips.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 AM

Looking savage Ken, how did the refit of the AC go? All fairly straightforward? Did you have a look to see if the hot/cold selector on the water pipe was working ok?

Old 09-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

Looking savage Ken, how did the refit of the AC go? All fairly straightforward? Did you have a look to see if the hot/cold selector on the water pipe was working ok?
Wasn't too bad - managed to snap a bolt on the bracket, but the other three went in ok and theres no movement in it at all, so fingers crossed. Hot / cold selector is moving freely - so need to get in behind the controls and see whats going on. Its potentially working fine - haven't tested it at all since the garage mentioned it to me.

Ended up buying a few hundred O rings - so you know who to ask if you need any!
Old 09-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Seen Ken's car a few months back when collecting couple of bits.
Sound chap and has done a fantastic job on the car. Done to a very high standard. No cutting corners here!
Well done Ken!
Regards,
Stan
Old 09-17-2021, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Starting off this update with whats was probably an unnecessary purchase. The headlights I sourced for the car were brand new stanley units - OEM ones in other words. The corner lights are no longer made, so I had to settle for Depo ones - even then they cost €200 or so.

I wasn't entirely happy with the fit of them - so got it in my head that I needed to source OEM ones. This was slightly easier than expected - in that a brand new old stock set were up on eBay.de. After parting with an eye-watering amount of cash, they arrived quickly. Haven't fitted them up yet - want the headlights and wings aligned first, but they'll complete the front end nicely.

Next up was heat wrap for the manifold. There are differing opinions on doing this, but the heat being produced under the bonnet was so extreme I don't think I had an option. This should ideally be done before the manifold was fitted - being me I left it until everything, including all the new A/C bits were in place.

The first hour or so of running the car resulted in a lot of smoke burning off the wrap - which was a slight shock at first, but thats eased off now. Temp's in the engine bay are drastically reduced I was surprised it was so effective to be honest.

Next up was the steering column surround, which was an ordeal to source. LHD CRX's have the indicator stalk on the opposite side to RHD ones - and the hazard switch on the top of the column is in a different position too. Of course I only found this out after buying a LHD surround - there were almost none available from RHD cars.

Eventually picked one up from Japan through buyee.com

Also meant I could fit up the steering wheel properly. I bought the centre cap for the wheel so long ago that's its now a heavily in demand NLA part.

Wheel and centre section were retrimmed by Pieter the steering wheel guy.

Also had a trip out to the VRT centre to get it on Irish plates. Hassle free transaction being an NI car - €200 to clear and taxed at €56. New plates were bought from eireplates - efficient as always!

Old 10-07-2021, 07:27 AM

Looking back over this again hard to believe how it started out to how it is now. Its looking unreal in person Ken.

So much Id have liked to look over on the car if I had more time last week, is the AC working now?
I must also get a rear Honda triangle sticker the back of mine is looking very bare without it.

How are you getting on with the Fujitsubo too? Its very subtle could almost pass off as OEM
Old 10-07-2021, 07:37 AM

Also the door restore kit you got from partsforcars.ie, did you drop in and just pick the kit or is it a special order setup?