JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Very sh!te week but Ill start at the start:

Continuing preping the boot door I wanted to sort the broken heat strips so tracked down the repair paint for it cost €30 but should hopefully sort

Heres it done on the window you can just make out the 4 Ive done:

So dropped the boot along with the spoiler over to Chris Type R and should be ready to go on in the next week or so.

Finally got all the mani, sump, rocker cover, rad, crossmember, intake and other bits sorted and the front of the car raised up so took it out for a test drive..

Was driving great alot more comfortable the manifold looked great after heating up very noticeable power and noise difference but then a bang underneath the car and a low blowing! Drove home to find this:

Nothing too major, the O2 bung on the manifold blew out so just got a sensor in the shed cut the head off it and fitted into the hole for the time being:

So all set for test drive #2
Was going to a friends house (Chawkie on here)

Again car seemed fine then heard a tapping sound the altenator belt started to shred and eventually came off..
This was the second time I damage a altenator belt on the CRX so was a bit suspicious got a new belt and was going to give it a good look over before fitting it..

Checked the crank pully that runs the altenator and it was all over the place so was looking bad took off the crank bolt to find the Woodruff key had been chewed up and only shavings of it were left and the pully itself was wrecked with the key wearing the inside off it!!

could see the problem then. Looks like the crank chipped off right at the key and allowed movement of the pully eventually chewing itself up with acceleration and the pull of the altenator belt..

Heres a different pully on it now with a key fitted see the chip missing off at the right side of it

Even with a good pully and key now there is play on it you can see it has about 3mm movement so will eventually do the same as the last crank pully:

So what Im going to do now is get a cheap B16a engine that I can fit for the short term do the track day in march etc and rebuild this engine with my original block from the CRX (to get back to the original engine number) and have it to the spec I want now not just the way I bought it off yer man in dublin...

Its a bit of a set back alright but its nothing too bad at the end of the day. No damage to the aftermarket internal parts and will be up and going with another temporary engine pretty cheap hopefully bigger and better to come....

Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Hmmmmmm, should give a go fixing it!... Get a new tighter key that has no play in it and drill and tap a small hole thru the outside of the pully into the keyway and lock it in place with a grub screw. Put a bit of thread lock on the grub screw to stop it vibrating off.. I'd try that before you go pulling the engine out

-92 EF6 dual carb... neglected out the back
-90 EF8 siR... the money pit!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM

What an epic thread. I've spent the last couple of hours reading it properly, fair play to you C-Rex. It's an incredible amount of work, inspirational!
Like one massive CR-X modifying guide!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Ah yea I could fix it but would only really be bodge job, the engine has some great parts but is badly built (by lad in dublin that I bought it off) so going to build up the good parts from this along with some extras into the original block from the CRX so it has its original numbers.
Looking forward to trashing a standard B16 for a while anyay

Thanks dave its not the best build and definately not the best way but its fun
You still doing trackdays in your CRX?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM

the exact same thing happened to the o2 sensor bung on my yoke.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM

Did you pick up one local James or did you just get one off ebay or something
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Yep still doing track days whenever I can, one coming up in February hopefully. They make great little track cars, even as standard. When are you getting yours out again? Is it the dtd one in march?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Yea the DTD one full day on the international for €150 with open pit. Should be a great day never had the CRX out on track so really looking forward to it
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM

I'd make a key for that Paul. I'd create a new edge on that crank some way or another. Wouldn't be a botch job.

In all fairness, the alternator takes very little torque of the engine. The belt may have been to tight and pulled the outer wheel on the crank pulley to one side. Ya know how they only glued on like. That bushen was probably weak already, and once it went slightly of line at 8500rpm it was easy do that to a key way.

I can't see that engine making any more power with rods, etc. The only thing rods will give you, is more rpm, and that's your cams in the bin then.

I say, solve this minor set back, map this engine, use it on track days, to get familiar with the setup you have.
I don't see the point in moving on yet. You should definitely experience this setup, so you can make better decisions on the next setup.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mcd22

I'd make a key for that Paul. I'd create a new edge on that crank some way or another. Wouldn't be a botch job.

In all fairness, the alternator takes very little torque of the engine. The belt may have been to tight and pulled the outer wheel on the crank pulley to one side. Ya know how they only glued on like. That bushen was probably weak already, and once it went slightly of line at 8500rpm it was easy do that to a key way.

I can't see that engine making any more power with rods, etc. The only thing rods will give you, is more rpm, and that's your cams in the bin then.

I say, solve this minor set back, map this engine, use it on track days, to get familiar with the setup you have.
I don't see the point in moving on yet. You should definitely experience this setup, so you can make better decisions on the next setup.

Very easy fix. When he described it to me on the fone I taught it would be worse!

I'll fix it for you if you want Paul. It's not a major issue at all.. If that was a shaft on a machine in work and the same thing happened and I went and told my foreman the whole shaft had to be replaced I'd get fecked out of it!

-92 EF6 dual carb... neglected out the back
-90 EF8 siR... the money pit!