JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2021, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

Looking back over this again hard to believe how it started out to how it is now. Its looking unreal in person Ken.

So much Id have liked to look over on the car if I had more time last week, is the AC working now?
I must also get a rear Honda triangle sticker the back of mine is looking very bare without it.

How are you getting on with the Fujitsubo too? Its very subtle could almost pass off as OEM
Its actually quite hard for me to judge the exhaust - the car had a straight through pipe to a janspeed exhaust when I got it - sounded like a motorbike. I find it pretty restrained at low idle, definitely opens up a bit - takes a bit of getting used to with the rest of the fleet being a lot quieter. The E30 325i has a Larini exhaust which is almost silent in comparison, and the E36 325i has an Eisenmann which is very quiet too. Feel rather conspicuous driving around in a car which makes noise !

AC isn't working a the moment - its not gassed, so the compressor won't kick in. Also have a slight issue with the receiver drier - the connections are a very tight fit with the EDM headlights, so need to do a small modification to get it wired in properly. Logically though, it should all work once its gassed - everything is in place anyway.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

Also the door restore kit you got from partsforcars.ie, did you drop in and just pick the kit or is it a special order setup?
I just picked it up from them - they had a few in stock - still showing up as in stock now too

https://partsforcars.ie/product/ccso...-kit-drk4/DRK4
Old 11-16-2021, 03:19 PM

fantastic work!
Old 11-21-2021, 02:05 PM

Incredible transformation.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:31 PM

Wow! You've done an incredible job here!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimbo99

fantastic work!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by djchickcrx

Incredible transformation.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AJs89EF7

Wow! You've done an incredible job here!
Thanks all - its turning out well, although its quite the money pit.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Administrator

A huge amount of work has been done lately - with very little to show for it. As mentioned before, the car wasn't running right - idle was way off and some banging noises coming from the rear suspension didn't sound too healthy either. The boot had been so full of spare parts it was hard to figure if something was just banging around in there, or if there was more suspension work required.

Either way, I wanted to get it over to someone a bit more familiar with old Hondas than my local guys are - business is apparently very good, because most of the recommended guys don't feel the need to respond to enquiries or give you an appointment when they do bother replying. I knew of Icetronix from decades back, and Robbie there was more than helpful in getting the car in and worked on.

Not a whole lot of photos to show for it - but first up was the toe arm bushes, which were shagged. They didn't have a new toe arm in stock - but were able to press out the fresh bushes from an EG arm and get them into mine.

The exhaust was also not sitting right - this was caused mainly by the new exhaust manifold not being designed for the ZC engine - so everything was under tension. You can see here where things want to sit when the decat was unbolted -

They made up a bespoke decat pipe which fits a lot better

Amongst other things done - a gearbox leak was solved, a new sump gasket was fitted, along with new oil and filter, a new front engine mount, new aux belt, a rear brake issue was fixed, a very squeaky steering wheel issue was done, front droplinks, rear droplinks, clutch adjustment and a few other things.

Alternator was also over-charging - so a tested, used, one was fitted.

The idle is much better - although not fully resolved. The IACV was cleaned which had almost completely fixed the issue - but its still a bit off when cold - so a new one was ordered from Honda.

They also did a carbon clean on the engine using the Hydroflow system. Hard to say if this has any impact itself, because the combination of all the other work has it driving a million times better.

The car also had some additional security added by MDS along with new front speakers.

My last significant remaining issue is related to my fuel pump - the car refuses to start once it reaches a quarter of a tank, which is a know issue with the fuel pickup - so that will be fixed when the car gets dropped in for the IACV to be fitted.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Fantastic job, fair play! Are you planning to hold onto this long term or would you consider selling it?
Old 12-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ruairicorbett

Fantastic job, fair play! Are you planning to hold onto this long term or would you consider selling it?
Not 100% sure to be honest, I'm short on parking spots with all the cars I have, so something will probably need to get sold. Looking at buying a new house with additional parking, which would resolve that issue.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:40 PM

I'd be keen to make you an offer should you ever consider selling it, even if a few years down the road. Like yourself, for some reason deep down I always preferred an Si over a V-tec. I think its because the first proper fast Honda I was in had that 1.6 DOHC engine. My brother had a '90 Civic Si back in the day, and his mate had a CR-X Si at the same time. Great cars.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdevitt

Quote:

Not 100% sure to be honest, I'm short on parking spots with all the cars I have, so something will probably need to get sold. Looking at buying a new house with additional parking, which would resolve that issue.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I'd be keen to make you an offer should you ever consider selling it, even if a few years down the road. Like yourself, for some reason deep down I always preferred an Si over a V-tec. I think its because the first proper fast Honda I was in had that 1.6 DOHC engine. My brother had a '90 Civic Si back in the day, and his mate had a CR-X Si at the same time. Great cars.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdevitt

Quote:

That's gas - my first car was an 88 Si Civic EF - so this shape CRX was always the one I wanted as a result. It felt like a very fast car back in the day!