JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Karl Like Gary said I have a baffled sump and just fitted Defi Oil Pressure and Temp gauges the day before..
Was giving great readings on both but comming out of turn two a noticed a drop in power and lost oil pressure let off straight away and there was a rattle..
It was instant failure out of no where rolled into pits luckly enough..

Engine was "Built" by Lofty Farrell? No idea who he is myself but I bought the engine from Tom @Titan and thats who he had do the work, if you go back through a few pages youll see how shitee the engine was built on the small bits, so this didnt come as a surprise when it failed.

Ill give you a call tomorrow Gary ment to ring you loads of times but been flat out with shite at home and cars the last few weeks
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Heres my super cool airbox:

Here is how it was taking in alot of hot air from the rad and engine:

First layout with a cut up election poster and box tape:

Then covered in masking tape:

Layed over fiberglass sheet with resin

And built up strength with P45 Isopon glassfibre

Dried pretty quick so trimmed back and drilled to fit original mounting points

There was a little bit in contact with the bonnet so cut it and redone a bit of a recess (square part) and painted it

Then wrapped the side part with DEI Cool Tape to further reflect heat and it seems to work quiet well:

This used alog with the straight through headlight unit from the trackday pics give very cool intake temps

Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 AM

To further aid cooler intake temps I got a Blox thermal intake gasket its much thicker than standard and insulates the intake manifold from the head to reduce heat transfer:

Heres where it goes:

Here is a comparison between old (torn from taking it off) and new thermal version:

Also decided to fit the Blox cam seal, both vtec solenoid seals, rocker cover and plug seals as there was a oil leak coming from the top of the engine:

^^I should really have done this sooner the engine stayed perfectly dry after this

Here I was out on an early morning spin a few weeks ago you get a better look at the exhaust fitted here:

And here is a silencer that Richie in www.AllStainlessExhausts.com made to quieten it a bit without effecting performance
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 AM

Before the track day I fitted two defi Gauges oil pressure and temp to moniter the engine along with their control unit:

The sensors fit to the engine using this Greddy adaptor block:

To try keep the car dry I tackled one of the major leak areas (that causes the drip in through the boot struts onto the back seat)
Removed the boot door and you can see the old perished seam sealer that was letting the water through:

Cleaned down and masked up the good paint close by:

And now resealed with sikaflex body sealer keeping out the water, next to tackle rear lights and rear washer jet leaks:

Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

Karl Like Gary said I have a baffled sump and just fitted Defi Oil Pressure and Temp gauges the day before..
Was giving great readings on both but comming out of turn two a noticed a drop in power and lost oil pressure let off straight away and there was a rattle..
It was instant failure out of no where rolled into pits luckly enough..

Engine was "Built" by Lofty Farrell? No idea who he is myself but I bought the engine from Tom @Titan and thats who he had do the work, if you go back through a few pages youll see how shiteee the engine was built on the small bits, so this didnt come as a surprise when it failed.

Ill give you a call tomorrow Gary ment to ring you loads of times but been flat out with shitee at home and cars the last few weeks
I heard of him but I dont know him. I think I heard of him doing work on a few cars on dtd. I thought tom did all the work on that engine. Its such a shame with your car sitting up so long and the money that was spent building that engine originally.

At least you know it will be built properly this time[^]

More or less the same thing happen to my ek at Baz's trackday two years ago and I caught it early enough but I still had to replace the crank a rod and piston[xx(]
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Yea everything there for it now tolerences and valve/piston clearences being doing a slight head skim again and then reassembly everything going well Ill be up with Trevor dyno mapping again friday the 12th and drag racing on the 20th of April!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Engine out again a few weeks ago:

Heres what was waiting on the magnetic sump plug[:I]

Engine stripped and pistons removed from the standard rods..
Was great to hear they were undamaged and genuine Toda ones

Wiseco retainer clips for the gudgeon pins since they were left out of the last assembly:

Bought Eagle H Beam Rods in for it now too always thought the standard rods were a weak point on the engine and a waste mounting Toda pistons onto them so now was a perfect time to upgrade to these:

Some of the bottom end assembly, plastigauging and testing tolerences, clearences and trust washers

Starting to get my Nitrous kit together for fitting and mapping on the 12th too:

Heres the Wizards of Nos Heater blanket fitted to the bottle, the kit runs a pressure controlled switch to keep bottle pressure between 900-950psi using the heater and also got a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it:

Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Well its been a hectic few weeks..
Have loads of pics and stuff to update with but the gist of it is the car all came back together just in time for a Honda only Drag day arranged for last Saturday in Bishopscourt drag strip near Downpatrick Co Down..

Car ran great with a 13.303 best time making it the fastest 1600 time in the country as far as I know

Heres two videos I found too:

Vs B18 EG Civic
http://youtu.be/Z6uMzoxpZ_g?t=25s

Vs B18 EK Civic (Stephen K)
http://youtu.be/m9aMXntG7gw?t=5m9s
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Some more pics I found of the day

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM

Good going Paul. Didn't know ya pulled of the back bumper. One thing I never tried. Lol.