JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Been quiet with this lately.. Washed it for the first time in 2months the other day..
I was busy with Rachels Del Sol and away on holidays

Time to start getting it ready for the NCT again so back to a quiet exhaust and refit the interior.. Got an OEM rear caliper rebuild kit with new pistons and a few more bits since

Looking forward to having it clean again..

Just got a video from the drag day too this was my fastest run all on my own just before the break..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HHuArkbuY
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM

That sounds immense man
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 AM

I havent updated this in ages cause of a severe hatrid for it after another few weeks of trouble last summer ending up then with another engine failure this time though it was terminal[V]

Ill start at the start I suppose

Since the brakes are absolutely terrible on my CRX I decided I needed to get on top of them so when a complete rebuild kit came up on CRXuk for the rears I took the lot and they were pretty cheap:

Really needed to do something with the front then, despite my hatrid for 282mm upgrades I realised these were the best option so got on looking and found a set of genuine NSX twin pot calipers from the UK:

Stripped them back and all seals and pistons are good so almost erady to fit.. Got a set of brake carriers off a prelude to allow for 282mm disks (NSX are 300mm so wont work)
Hope to get these on in the next few weeks when I read up a bit more on maching the carriers to centre the caliper on the disk properly and ordering new disks and pads for them

Next I fitted my Omori Tacho cause I was now revving past the standard rev counter

Looks nice all lit up and even better when up at 9500rpm

Was all going fine then so took the car down to Cork to meet a few friends I noticed the engine management light flashed a few times on the way down so just assumed it was one of the wires for the gauge from the distributor was acting up so just ignored it for the drive since it would have been a handy fix when I get home

Didnt quiet make it though[V]
Coming to a stop at a crossroads the car died, lost all power and then spotted smoke coming from under the bonnet opened up and saw flames down by the battery..

Turns out the rubber that was under the battery came away allowing it to slde forward and arc against the body melting one [pole away completely and setting the insulation on the cables on fire

Managed to get it running again at the side of the road but voltage was dropping, ended up going through the Jack Lynch voltage gauge dropping below 9v and electrics starting to fail and engine missfiring. JUST managed to make it to Halfords in Mahon bought the cheaped battery cable tied it in and made it home!

To make it worse the very next day the tegiwa battery bracket arrived that would have avoided this whole thing[xx(] Its a nice tidy job actually and fits nicely out of the way in the engine bay
[/URL]
Had some altenator trouble since but hope a new battery will sort it so ordering a new Varley red top for it
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Spotted this posted up for sale too on another site so got it straight away.. A perfect uncracked AC panel will go in along with one of the repair/strenghening panels when Im putting the car back in road form..

Next up was the last dragday of the year..
Was confident of hitting a 13.1 on the quarter mile this time as the car really was running great so to give it every little helping hand I set about cutting some weight and trying a few things

So bought a sheet of polycarbonate to replace the glass for the doors and set about making a set of lightweight doors..
Pulled two spares out of the shed and went at them with a grinder, all electrics removed, new windows, bracing and inner skin cut out and mirrors blanked, this led to a pretty good weight saving 15kg per door!

Some of the edges are still quiet sharp as I founf out!

The doors were a bit tatty and black so get them looking a bit better I got some good carbon look wrap and cover them, added the caps, bump strips and a set of vtec door stickers off Mr Kurtz... Beats spraying them and look pretty cool

Next I wanted to make some aero differences and cut weight a little so brought out my mugen replica bumper. this has already done the rounds on the site with Gene, Mark and Jeff owning it before me.
There is no bumper bar and removed fogs etc and then covered the holes with some gloss vinyl so less air drag and can be removed easily afterwards:

For drag racing I was using these tires they are full slicks I got off a friend that does hill climbing.. Good and wide and heat quickly so pretty good for drag racing

So that was it pretty much set for racing again and looking purposeful. Headlight removed to get in as much cold air as possible (And before covering the centre of the bumper actually) loaded it up onto a trailer this time and took the 4hr drive to Bishopscourt

Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM

So arrived up had plenty of alcohol the night before and made it out racing. Was doing 13.3s again and trapping 106mph at the end of the 1/4 as the hangover would wear off and the track heat up a bit I was on for my 13.1 alright

Here is one of my runs got by one of the lads incar camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua7IbO9xSHA

Unfortunately though as I expected the day was going to be short lived.. About an hour in and only after 4-5 runs the car died on a run at the top of 3rd gear at around 9000rpm.. With incar footage too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ian5Gv-S5ws

I got the car back to the van and pulled out the plug from cylinder 4 this was enought to see my day and engine were finished the was mashed up completely with bits of valve and piston

Back to this sh!te again!!

So onto a bench and had a look around it:

Thats pretty much all that was good in the engine in bits and more than likely me finished with trying to build a fast 1.6NA.. It was kinda fun while it lasted but I had zero reliability!!

Possibly putting the failure down to the valve springs causing valve float at 9000ish RPM as clearences were all measuread and giving plenty room.. But to be honest I dont really care about that even!

Got straight to fitting a standard B16a that I had sitting in the shed at home for about 5years and hoped it ran ok

Swapped over all the bolt on auxelleries new timing belt that I had there and just threw on a cut cover now cause I dont even care if this engine goes now it can be anymore unreliable than the last one!

Thats pretty much how it has sat since the standard map has a massive flat spot on it on vtec, the waterpump is leaking and the NCT and tax are out.. There is a track day coming up and a drag day so Ill see I might try get it sorted for one or both of them but its only around now Ive any interest in trying to get it back up and running right again after the disasterious 2013 with it

Hopefully the rain fcuks off soon and I can get back to work on it again and maybe get a little bit more luck this year
Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 PM

I know the feeling Paul...although mines more lack of a heated garage frustration, working in -10C is no fun at all.

Heres to a better year of trouble free vtec'ing!

Just got mine back on the road today after swapping in the B20, shakedown drive to work....some adjustments needed but after finishing at 3am this morning I was happy I made it to work []

EDIT: I left the office after starting this post and after posting noticed you made a bunch more...Holy crap...more engine shite after what you've been through with it...I'd be finished!

90 White USDM CRX HF (JDM B20B Swap)
05 White USDM Subaru Legacy Outback
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 PM

The car has sat in the yard in the rain since August such is my hatrid for it since then.. Just about getting back to it now since there is trackdays coming up again and I actually want to abuse the engine that is in it now

Get some pics up of your one, first B20 finished on the site even if you are in America!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Would me joining you on a trackday be any sort of a push to get it sorted? I'm heading towards getting the car reliable for the track myself if I can. Maybe if you name one and we both try get to it?

Same here though working on it. I've absolutely no interest in getting near it with no garage in the rain and cold.....
Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM

I've actually paid up for a trackday on the 28th of February full day on the international track open pit €145. Its a private trackfly organised by one of the lads on dtd its a day I always try to get to cause theses a great atmosphere and its a great price.

If you'd be interested in getting out that soon let of know and Ill get you a spot.
I don't even have a car ready for it but at worse Ill used to del sol for it.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 PM

I've been on to Mondello to see if there's any beginner/training days before then. I don't want to go out on an open day as a complete noob. Will see what they say...