JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2021, 09:22 AM

Right, so I've eventually got my shaft issue sorted & now got the baffle welded & fitted into place. It was time for a 1st start to see what further issues were upon me [8]
To get to the point...it didn't start, nor did it sound healthy whatsoever! It sounded like the battery was on its last legs but i knew it couldn't be that as it was brand new & was kept on a battery maintenance charger. The H22 has an inspection window to allow timing of the flywheel so i set up a light & my phone on video to see if i could see anything unusual. Gave it a crank & reviewed the video...the flywheel was turning but it had a severe wobble [V]

I couldn't figure this out but knew one thing for sure...it all had to come back out to do some further investigating [xx(]. Stripped the box off & checked the flywheel/clutch & pressure plate more times than enough & found absolutely nothing wrong with anything.

The only things i could think of were maybe I hadn't fitted the box on correctly before tensioning it up with the plate? Maybe i hadn't torqued the flywheel bolts properly? Maybe the crank was fubarred? I just couldn't figure it out!

I then decided to have a look at the starter. This was a fully refurbed b series unit i got off one of the guys on the FB page & to be honest, i took it as advertised & took the seller for his word. Upon stripping it & checking it all out, i found some small metal shavings around the gears [V]
It was fully refurbed & had all new bearings & fresh grease & looked 1st class but i noticed when building it back up again the motor itself was moving internally within its casing/surround when it was bolted up. A few measurements taken & when compared to a mates iVT starter i figured out the motor was about 6-8mm too short & was most likely too short to engage with the gears properly. So took my starter mount plate off (it's overbored to accept the longer starter bolt that's required for the h2b plate) & attached it to my mates starter to try it instead.

Difference in the motors, refurbed motor on the left, mates iVT motor on the right

New (to me) starter sourced locally, this was also stripped & checked over & did match my mates iVT starter so I knew it would be good

So, bolted it all back up again, triple checked everything, then checked it all again. Gave the box & the plate a light coat of paint & dropped it all back in...AGAIN

It turned over but wouldn't fire! At least i know it's all bolted properly & spinning freely now! I need to check spark etc & i reckon it'll be a wiring/ignition issue but just haven't found the time to investigate it yet.

To be continued...
EE8 Cel Blue...RIP
Old 12-10-2021, 01:04 PM

Right, so, update, well, sort off [8)]

So, BillB of the UK forum was in Ireland that week. I had a couple of hours with him where we did a good bit of checking out & testing numerous things before he had to "abandon" me & scarper for his boat home lol!
All wiring was checked & belled out to the correct locations according to diagrams/sensors & pins on the ecu. Bill did find a bad connection in the conversion harness (temporarily fixed at the time) which i have now permanently fixed. We tried an OBD1 distributor & wired it in but still no firing. I was advised that an OBD1 distributor was the ONLY way it would go but Bill advised he's ran this setup on the standard OBD2 distributor with no issues previously...either way neither worked!
I spent 4.5 hours the other night checking every single wire that goes to the ecu, grounds & a general overhaul of all that was connected to the ecu & sensors. Still no firing, still no fuel from the injectors even when they are connected properly & are all getting 12v.

EE8 Cel Blue...RIP
Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM

Me again [8]

So, as i'm irish...i got pissed off with the whole setup, drank beer instead of fixing a crx for the last few weeks & only really looked at it again this week.

Loom is now out & on the table for scrutiny, i found a problem (i think) in the iacv wiring. As in, its ok but the ignitor wire shouldn't really be belling out to the same point on the ecu ?-)
So, i'm going to strip it back & see what's gone on on my previous wiring, fix it & then ill maybe get this moneypit running before this xmas!...it was meant to be xmas last year [xx(]

Also, whilst doing my engine wire tuck there was a stray blue/red wire on the d/side with a bullet connector which had no function. Paul (C-Rex) advised me he used his for a feed to his fog lights as it runs back to the cabin with a bullet connector so i'm going to do the same. Just need to wire in the relay & the EF fog switch i got ages ago to it. Might i add...it's an absolute c"*t to get too from the cabin side lol!

EE8 Cel Blue...RIP
Old 12-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Administrator

That looks like a complete and utter pain in the proverbials. Hopefully you get it sorted soon enough!
Old 12-16-2021, 09:35 AM

Reading that update you could set it to the soundtrack of Wham's Last Christmas. I can feel the pain in it..

Have you tried asking any h2b swapped CRX owners in the US? Or do.you know anyone up your way that does tuning? If they plugged in to the car they could diagnose a lot quicker being able to see on a screen if all the sensors are working properly
Old 12-17-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by C-Rex

Reading that update you could set it to the soundtrack of Wham's Last Christmas. I can feel the pain in it..

Have you tried asking any h2b swapped CRX owners in the US? Or do.you know anyone up your way that does tuning? If they plugged in to the car they could diagnose a lot quicker being able to see on a screen if all the sensors are working properly
lol!
It definitely a wiring f*@k up somewhere, i checked out the loom on the table & couldn't find the same ignitor/iacv issue i was finding when the loom was fitted! [xx(] Low & behold, plugged back into the car & they are both belling out to the icav pin now ffs! More diagnostics to follow
EE8 Cel Blue...RIP