JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Time Attack crx

Hey im new to this site, the below is copied from another forum so its all together but should be over weeks!!!! hope you enjoy!!!

All the work is being done by Roco performance and myself
www.rocoperformance.com

About time i threw something about this build. The civic we ran last year was about the best it was going to get without some serious work, so we decided to re shell it and start from scratch. The crx was picked for two reasons, the huge weight reduction and the front suspension set up was better than the civic. ill keep posting pictures as the project continues.

Have to say a huge thanks to Ronan in RoCo performance for all his help and expertise.

The donor car, i cant believe how rust free it is... not a bit... i was lucky

Arriving at roco

Stripped out and sound deadining removed

up on the spinning thing!!!

Cleaning down the underseal and seem welding the chasis.
My cousin Stu always helping!! some mechanic to work bt

i dont know how but i convinced ro to let me seem weld the car!!!! :happy)

Welding done..... primer on

just finished the first coat on the bottom..
i hate sanding between coats!!!!

just a taste of the colour to come (rrfl:

i needed to order part number 9.... fair play to honda naas... on the ball. only thing is it takes 4 weeks from japan!!!:wallbash)

the engine seem welding will have to wait. tonite ill mock up the pedal box form the eg so i can have better servo and hydro clutch!!!

the panel was a bit crumpled from a tap. i could fill it but that would add extra weight and i want this car mint!!!!

ill keep posting updates

Ok, i couldnt find anything on this so ill do it myself ha ha.
i wanted to use as much of the integra type r parts as possible.
i didnt like the conversions because they look s%$t so i decided to convert to hydro using the itr pedal box.

first i tried to fit the servo. it was two inches larger in diameter so it was going to be close. it does actually fit and all the holes line up.:sick)

i tried to fit the itr pedal box next. it does fit but due to the position of the accelerator pedal it hits the wheel arch. so it cant be used.:mad)
the integra one you can see only has two pedals and the fall more to the right.

i can however cut the cable clutch pedal off the crx pedal box. because the itr clutch is seperate on the itr one we can make a plate in the bulkhead and make it fit. there is space for it and the plate was mocked up. the itr servo and connectors bolt directly onto the crx brake pedal. :happy)

tomrow night ill complete it hopefully and then take it all out so i can finish seem welding.

The crx now has a hydro clutch, without all the messing of the adapter kits.
with the plate made i had to cut the clutch pedal from the origional crx pedal box as i am going to use the itr clutch unit which is seperate.

next i got the plate i made from the night before and cut a hole in the bulk head to match it.

tacked the plate in, checked pedal location and finished welding it in.

once in and primed and thats it, crx now ready for hydro box :happy)
after (hydro)

before(cable)

this was the dameaged front panel, not much going on so ill post this

drilled out

cut out

took quiet a while!!!!!!!

i havent done anythin in a week or so because i couldnt seem weld engine bay until new panel came in so i could paint the lot together and avoid rust.

friday all my new parts arrived, )

big thanks to andy in the tunning tactory for sorting me out with complete rose jointed kit, and roll center adjusters. the seem to be the dog's!!!!

i was going to run hard rubber bushes but after seeing these!!!!

i thought if i wanted a rose jointed kit i would have to make it myself, but as these replace the origional bushes a couldnt go wrong. they are very expensive but i think they will be worth it as the track i compete most on is a handling track rather than power.

ill fit these this week hopefully :nice:

Its been a while so ill throw it up. Firstly we refitted the new panel from honda.
it took ages to line up and get right. worth it but alot of niggly work.

next i filled all the holes in the engine bay. looks better and we will be running a custom harness (rrfl: so i wont need many of the oem holes. safer too.

Then i had to remove a few extra brackets in the back. Some for roll cage fitment. I was suprised with the weight of it all after. Maybe 1 kg!!

Next was the impressive bit. When you see a roll cage sometimes you think yea a couple of bends and a few plates but not the case.
This was the first time a helped (handed tools ha ha) to RoCo building a cage from scratch. All i can say is that it is almost an art form!:happy)
The cage fitment even from the stage we are at now is unreal. The cage is so snug. i will be able to weld it to the car in a number of places... dont even need plates. Again a huge thanks to Ronan in RoCo. top job.
On another point, it is the lightest cage roco has done as the size of the cage is tiny. my civic one was up to my chest, but because of the size of the crx the cage is so small and therefore so light..... bt
these are just the tacked pics, but i had to post just to see it!!!

The cage is 80% in now.....
the fitment is unreal. Ro managed to get the cage so close we can weld it to everything!! each side has about 1 ft welded to the shell. the roof and the front.... basicly everything to everything..... im slightly worried that the shell will be too rigid especially with the whole car's arms and suspension being completly rose jointed.....

been busy for a while so havent been able to get pics up.
First ro made the seat rails. This took ages. The amount of measuring was unreal!!! top job to ro. The seat is now as low as possible without cutting out the floor. its a good 2 - 3 inches lower than the origional guess bt

Next was to fit the antiroll bar. We chose a 98 spec itr one. As you can imagine it doesnt fit. (rrfl: so we made new brackets. They were made slightly overkill BUT stiffness is key in this project. i also wanted to be able to remove the roll bar easy for different events and weather conditions so it was threaded so all we have to do is unbolt the roll bar.

next i started to seem weld inside the shell. This is nearly the end of the shell work. All that is left is to weld the engine bay anjd the paint!!!! :happy)

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Looking great so far, great shell to work on no doubt! Looking forward to seeing more work
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

First of all welcome to the site and secondly WOW!!!

very nice work there!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM

thanks lads... was reccomended to by Crex so cheers!!!

ill keep posting as it goes on. hope to be competing again for the first round in march 2010.... the shell is the hardest and most important so this is why it is taking soooooo long.

ill be happy once the shell is painted and looking well.. thanks for support. oh and if you have site stickers i would be more than happy to run them in the 2010 season [^] top class site!!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 PM

Sweeeeet man glad you joined..
Will have plenty of questions for ya no doubt along the way..

Will definately get a sticker or two up to ya.. That will be 3 EF CRXs doing time attack next year..
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 AM

Some project lad fair play!! did ye make up the jig to turn over the car espically for the crx or did ye already have one made from another project? is it well balanced-does it turn easily? proper job for doing the underneath of a car you can get good proper welds to the underneath of it.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Welcome and excellent job man, Can't wait to see this up and running!

I will finish the B20 at some stage, damn Oz
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM

the jig was made for a twin cam, but its adjustable so can ,make it fit anything..... Roco has top class set up......

cheers for all comments...
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM

awesome project. keep us posted
Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Now that's a project! You have to respect a person when they put that much work into their car - fair play.

@Paul: Who's the 3rd TA CR-X? There's Barry, Webartie and ?

siR [New addition] Sold!
siR [RIP]