JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Possible engine swap

My '91 Si (USDM) is getting into the later years of it's life with 286,000 miles on it. I know it'll last quite a few more years, but was wondering about an engine swap. I know the JDM SiR in '91 came with the B16A and I was wondering if anyone knew the weight difference between the D16A6 (in the car currently) and the B16A. I dont want to put a engine in the car that is much heavier than the current one. Although it could fit a B18, that's probably going to make the car more nose heavy than it already is, and I don't exactly want that. Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Ok so your car is a US spec Si, 1.6litre SOHC with fuel injection?

The D16A6 and D15B are almost identical engines in weight, infact they are the same engine with different bore/stoke. The D16A8 and ZC are the DOHC versions, same block with twin cam head (ZC's have a stronger block) A little more weight but not very much. The B16A vtec engines weight a lot more, there also bigger and sit higher in the car. Handling difference is very noticeable, a lot more nose heavy.

The DOHC engines are an easy conversion, plug & play into your car, the B16A is a different engine from block up so fitting requires a lot of parts, different engine mounts, wiring looms, gearbox’s, and god knows what else. VTEC cars also have different front subframe and suspension which may be needed for conversion.

Hope that helps,

Mark.