JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2014, 09:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to lfrehlich
Default Ignition switch servicing

Hello everybody,
I haven't posted in quite some time. Recently my car has been dyeing out on me and I found the solution here: http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html it was just wearing out and dirty so I cleaned it up and so far so good. However I did not have any grease http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignit...ch.html#Repair Is this ok? It doesn't take very long to open up so I could go buy some and redo it, I am not very automotively inclined, does anyone have a brand of grease they recommend and how much would I put on etc. Also had anyone had this problem before? I'm starting to ramble, anyway, I live in Canada and I have a RHD SiR so there is only few people that can help me here but I have posted on this site before and it worked wonders
Thanks in advance,
Levi
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 AM

So I just had it out, starting it up and turning it off to see if it was fixed. Worked well for a while, then died on me at a red light. Started up fine then I held the key slightly past run until I got home then I let it fall into "II" position and the car stayed running. So I think he grease might be needed, it works better but it still stalls, does the grease help with insuring a solid connection? Now that I am going to get grease, what kind and how much should I put on?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 AM

Just a heads up if anyone has this problem in the future, I have it temporarily fixed anyway http://board.hondacrx.co.uk/phpBB2/v...c.php?t=149959 cheers
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM

Can you copy and paste you're solution here? Glad you got sorted. I had something similar with my ignition years ago
Old 06-01-2014, 02:01 PM

I pretty much just followed the links above. I did find another good site http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ignit...tch/index.html
I just sanded everything down and applied fresh solder to the worn areas. I also lengthened the springs, then I lubed it all up and put it back in. Just don't overdue it with the solder it may unbalance the switch and cause something else not to work, for example my heater blower didn't work because the accessory contact was not being made, so I had to take it apart and redo it all. I think the best solution would be to apply the solder to the pitted area on the non moving part of the switch, you do have to get it fairly hot before it will stick, and watch for the dripping from the other side. I should have took pics, if it ever happens again I will make a detailed how to with pics and instructions.

lfrehlich

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:47 pm Post subject: Ignition switch servicing Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Hello everybody,
I haven't posted in quite some time. Recently my car has been dyeing out on me and I found the solution here: http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html it was just wearing out and dirty so I cleaned it up and so far so good. However I did not have any grease http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignit...ch.html#Repair Is this ok? It doesn't take very long to open up so I could go buy some and redo it, I am not very automotively inclined, does anyone have a brand of grease they recommend and how much would I put on etc. Also had anyone had this problem before? I'm starting to ramble, anyway, I live in Canada and I have a RHD SiR so there is only few people that can help me here but I have posted on this site before and it worked wonders
Thanks in advance,
Levi

lfrehlich

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
So I just had it out, starting it up and turning it off to see if it was fixed. Worked well for a while, then died on me at a red light. Started up fine then I held the key slightly past run until I got home then I let it fall to the "II" position and the car stayed running. So I think he grease might be needed, it works better but it still stalls, does the grease help with insuring a solid connection? Now that I am going to get grease, what kind and how much should I put on?

Paul UT
CRX lover

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a problem with my ignition barrel last year, it got stuck in start and I had to disconnect the battery then stall the engine to get the starter motor to stop, using pliers and a lot of force I got the key back out. I got a replacement switch and barrel from Stoo on here for a reasonable price. I would suspect,but don't know that the switches would be a common part between all CRXs LHD RHD VT SIR SI 16V 1.5 etc, and maybe even all Hondas of that era.

Switch grease is just a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor, it is non conductive and it wont improve a worn switch, it just lowers its wear rate and reduces corrosion. You may be able to take it apart, tweak the contacts into better contact, and polish them to remove any corrosion, then re-grease to reduce further wear and corrosion.

Personally I use Servisol silicone grease, and I would recommend a silicone based grease for versatility as it is quite inert for lubricating other things, and will last longer than petroleum based greases, but any dielectric grease will work fine. Even Vaseline will work in a pinch, my dad used it on his motorbikes for years.

Caution, there are conductive greases available commonly used on bulbs and battery terminals, you do not want to use these on a switch.

As Dielectric greases are non-conductive you cant really use too much, just slather it all over, then wipe off any excess that squirts out when you put it back together.

Last edited by Paul UT on Sun May 25, 2014 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Ronster
Jockanese Domestic Market, Aye.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a brand new (from Honda) ignition barrel with keys for sale if you need a new one? I'm not sure if they're still available from honda or how much they cost, it might be worthwhile checking with your local dealer first.
186 bhp @ 7790rpm / 127 lbs-ft @ 7320rpm
14.565 sec 1/4 mile @ 96.2 mph
My Gallery
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lfrehlich

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Hey,

@Paul UT, I did take it apart and service it to the best I could anyway, thanks. I will get some grease today after work.

@Ronster, My local dealer did say they cannot get the whole lock assembly any more, but the could get the electrical switch, the part I think I need. If this turns out not to fit/and or not be what I need I will let you know.

I was also thinking that my after market starter/alarm could be having something to do with it. I never have a problem starting the car with the starter, it was only after I put in the key and pressed the brake it would shut off, because of the minimal contact coming from just the key. After I tweaked the contacts of the switch it seems to work 9/10 times. I will try to tape up the spliced wires to the starter a little better and lather some grease in there and hope it works.

Thanks again,
Levi

lfrehlich

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Also real quick,
Im going to use this grease
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-oz...-grease/849385
If I put as much in that will squirt out when I close it up, and the grease is non conductive, will it have enough contact to connect? Because the switch is moving I could see how it would "scrape" the grease away to make a connection but I don't want to over due it, thoughts?

Paul UT
CRX lover

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't have to fill it up, just enough that it wont migrate away from the contacts too soon would be fine too, but the contacts have a small area and many pounds per square inch pushing them together, it won't have any problem wiping grease off itself.

lfrehlich

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
So I got it all apart greased everything up, probably could have put more grease than I did but its all back together now, maybe next time (even though I hope there is no next time. I also soldered the contact ring bit to try to get it to connect better, I tried to get the the solder on the other side but I don't think I got it hot enough. Put it all together and it started up fine. If it does start messing up again I will solder and grease the hell out of it! Thanks for all your help guys.