JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Default 1.5 timing belt

doing the timing belt in the 1.5 at the mo and i cant seem to line up the marks before i take off the belt. i downloaded the concerto manual to see what way that is done. there is two ways of cam shaft mark lining up:
1 1.4liter and 1.5 liter: the up mark is up and the two opposite marks are in line with the surface of the head. (from what i can see from the picture there is only two opposite marks.

21.6l . my timing cam looks like the 1.6liter one because it has 3 marking up lines and an up mark. the extra mark, lines up with the pointer in the backcover of the timing belt.

i have pictures but im on dial up its taking ages to upload them. cant get on to concerto manual as well.

Anyway, on the timing belt cover there is two pointers in line with each other over the crank shaft pulley with which you can look down and eye the marks on the crank pulley. the 3 points when lined up make a straight line. on the crank pulley there is 3 marks then a few degrees later on the pulley there is 2 marks together. ive been trying to line up the pointers in between the two marks while trying to line up the cam shaft mark to the pointer on the cover. its always out, is it true in saying that it should ony take four turns to line up the marks due to the four strokes?

im i using the right marks? can anyone shed any light on this subject.

heard of all the trouble people were having taking off the pully bolt so i made up my own tool for holding the crankshaft while loosening the bolt. a flat bar with two bolts welded on to it to hold the crankshaft. did the job!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:04 PM

I had this same question, I cant rem eactly as its been ages but im nearly sure the three marks together are the timing marks for a timing light and you line up now with the other. The reson there are three together in one spot is so you can see if its advanced or retarded from the middle when you are using a timing light. You will have to do this when youre finished. I cant rem how many turns on the cam i had to do.

As i said its been ages, perhaps someone else has set their timing lately.

If you still have the belt on, just use a timing light and see which marks you need for that, then you use the other one for this bit. I couldnt do that as the belt snapped.

As for the tool same as mine, cept i wedged it against the ground instead of the driveshaft, just in case!

90 White USDM CRX HF (JDM B20B Swap)
05 White USDM Subaru Legacy Outback
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Correct they are for setting the ignition timing with a timing light. There should be a mark on its own for TDC on the crank pully and cam pullys. Line the crank up first, the TDC mark should be about an inch before the those three timing marks, then line the two side marks on the cam pulley with the head. Double check no1 cyl is at TDC and that both valves are closed on cyl one, then turn it over a few times by hand to make sure your right. Check and double check the timing marks and belt tension and your good to go.

To be honest they never line up 100%, ZC engines are even worse as they always setup half a tooth off on the cams. If you are unsure make your own marks as a point of reference before you take the belt off, getting the new belt on a tooth off is a big difference you will notice, so there isnt much chance of getting it wrong.